Friday, August 10, 2007

Hard to sleep

I promise this is mostly related to the practice of respiratory care, and here's how.

Respiratory care also encompasses sleep medicine.

A diagnosis that may be arrived at during a sleep study is Restless Leg Syndrome.

RLS may be treated by Mirapex .

Mirapex may cause uncontrollable urges to gamble and have sex.

So I was delivering quality respiratory care the other night when a commercial for Mirapex came on. I was checking my vent and only half paying attention to what was on the TV. My attention was caught by a voice saying something to the effect of "... talk to your doctor if you have uncontrollable urges to gamble or have intercourse..."

HUH? I asked my patient, "Did that say what I think it said?"

Damn Diprivan.

So two days later I'm setting on the couch with my lovely wife speaking of things of great consequence. On pops the Mirapex commercial. I quickly hush her (bad idea) and intently watch the commercial. There it is! They actually said that this drug may cause increased urges for sex. Now, having just hushed my wife (and knowing I could look forward to a dry spell) I was wondering how I could make this information work for me.

Upon further research, I found that there is a class action lawsuit (big surprise) to benefit the people who have been hurt by Mirapex. I also found that this medication could cause sleeplessness. I guess so. If you're up all night tending to your pleasure/reward-seeking activities there is little time for sleep. Obsessive eating, gambling, shopping, and scrogging are not condusive to a restful night's sleep. I feel that I personally have been caused emotional distress by them and would be happy to settle out of court for free samples. I wonder if they will dissolve in my wife's next cocktail? Bwhahahaha.

RT

1 comment:

Anniebeth said...

This was tooo funny. I am a transcriptionist and was looking up "Diprivan" and "restless leg" when your site popped up in my search. It provided a much needed laugh!! Even though it has been a few months, I hope you decide to start posting again....